I never used to run at all I was slightly overweight, I have asthma and I DO NOT enjoy exercise. At all really.... Hmmmm I started running because I was told I would get healthier, which I did. I was also told I would start to love it, which I don't!
Today as I ran cursing myself for not running yesterday, so I could just stay on the sofa today, the thought occurred to me that, for me at least, running is a lot like teaching! Here's why:
- You are always tired
- I have never met a teacher who wasn't exhausted during term time! Don't worry you aren't alone!
- When teaching (and running) we are always so focused on what we are doing and how we are doing it and working on just getting it done that sometimes it isn't until class is over or the run is finished that we can look back and say, actually that was good!
- When I'm speeding up, the run is less tiring and I am feeling like I am actually getting quite good at this, BAM! Changes! New initiatives! Keep up teacher!
- Something to get easier with practice: running, behaviour management, parent's meetings
- but then just like that a new challenge is there making you feel like a beginner all over again!
- Although I do complain about running when people ask me why I do it. It is because it makes a difference...